Como vai, Forasteiro!?

Parece que você é novo por este pedaço. Se você quer se envolver, clique em algum destes botões!

The Problem With Lena Dunham’s New Plus-Size Clothing Line Is Lena Dunham

The Problem With Lena Dunham’s New Plus-Size Clothing Line Is Lena Dunham

This week, “Girls” creator, writer and actress Lena Dunham announced the launch of the 11 Honoré x Lena Dunham Collection, her new “plus-size” clothing line with the 11 Honoré brand. She celebrated the launch with multiple Instagram posts and a widely shared interview in The New York Times. Get more news about cheap Plus Size Dresses for women,you can vist 5xsize.com!

To be honest, 11 Honoré was barely on my radar, simply because the brands the company carries, its own included, most definitely do not “include” bodies like mine. I couldn’t wear a single thing from its site, and this is the case for many fat people.
The backlash against the limited size range of 14–26 was pretty immediate. Now, to be fair to Dunham, I have not seen her refer to her line as “inclusive.” However, 11 Honoré calls itself “a size-inclusive shopping site” in its mission statement — while also listing a size range of 12–24.

I personally don’t believe “inclusive” can apply to sites that cater to a limited size range that excludes both larger and smaller sizes. That position may be somewhat controversial, but to me, “inclusive fashion” looks like a brand like SmartGlamour, by Mallorie Dunn, which has a preset size range from XXS - 15X, but additionally offers complete customization of every piece sold, each of which is made to order.

While this a conversation that is worth having, it’s not what I’m here to talk about today. I want to talk about Dunham’s Times interview related to the launch of her collection ― because her comments are incredibly problematic for someone trying to sell clothing to fat women.

Dunham has apparently dealt with some medication-related weight gain after battling what sounds like an awful case of COVID-19 last March. Anyone who has taken steroids for an illness or injury knows the side effects are awful. One of them involves weight gain; another is a puffiness that’s especially noticeable in the face, often referred to as “moon face.” Yikes. This is problematic not only because when I look at Dunham, I don’t see a “triple chin,” but also because even if she does have one, it’s due to medication ― not actual fatness. If she were to go off the steroids, that puffiness would go away.

Furthermore, imagine how anyone with a “triple chin,” who likely already cannot wear Dunham’s clothing collection, might feel when they read that — not to mention anyone else enduring “moon face” from steroids or chronic illness.

This touches on a major issue I have with Dunham’s collection. Dunham says in the Times interview that her body has settled around a 14/16. Considering the average American woman is typically stated to be a size 16, Dunham’s size is, well, just that — average. Plus-size, but just barely.