Como vai, Forasteiro!?

Parece que você é novo por este pedaço. Se você quer se envolver, clique em algum destes botões!

Why is Shanghai food so sweet?

Why is Shanghai food so sweet?

In the United States, starchy, tangy sauce is associated with Chinese-American creations like General Tso’s chicken and sweet and sour pork, but the land of fish and rice—as Shanghai and Jiangsu Province are known—has an undeniable sweet tooth.To get more news about shanghai special dishes, you can visit shine news official website.

Jiangsu cuisine is one of the eight major schools of Chinese cuisine. The region is known for its light flavors, fresh seafood, and spectacular knife work. One popular dish, known as squirrel fish, is a deep-fried Chinese perch sliced into thin stalks to resemble the tail of a squirrel.
Shanghai is a wonderful city to eat and indulge. Its status as an international hub means the options are endless and incredibly diverse.

While the city has grown more cosmopolitan over the years, with food from all over the world, local Shanghainese fare is still king. We asked Wilson Mao, a Shanghai native and self-professed foodie, to show us his favorite spots in the city.

Areas like Jing’an and Huangpu are often at the top of recommendation lists, but Wilson wanted to take us to a neighborhood off the beaten path: Hongkou, a residential district with some of the most spectacular dumplings in the city.When it comes to Chinese food, sweet, sour, and deep-fried tends to be associated with Americanized Chinese food, an inauthentic approximation of the original.

But sweet and sour fish has long been a staple of Jiangsu Province in China, at least as far back as the 18th century.Northern Chinese cuisine is comfort food at its finest—salty, greasy, and hearty. Think fluffy wheat buns stuffed with ground pork and handmade noodles drenched with thick bean sauce.

It’s also big on offal—liver, lung, and intestines, mixed in salty stews of soy sauce and vinegar.

But how did this region develop such a hefty palate? Northern China’s food has been shaped by its harsh winters, where the temperature can drop as low as negative 40 degrees Celsius. (If you’re wondering how much that is in Fahrenheit, it’s exactly the same.)It’s an odd thing for a self-described foodie to admit, that the city in which she lives is not particularly made for connoisseurs of taste.

She’s right. Beijing food is not particularly refined or photogenic. It’s heavy on offal and wheat-products like noodles and buns.Pork buns can be found everywhere in China. They’re a mainstay of Chinese cuisine, made in varieties such as delicate soup dumplings in Shanghai and baked roast pork buns in Hong Kong.

But buns—or bao 包 in Chinese—are especially prolific in the north, where they’re eaten every day. The coastal city of Tianjin is said to be the birthplace of bao. Here, there are legacy chains going back generations, and chefs who tout recipes that supposedly date back to the Qing Dynasty.

In a country as large and populous as China, you can expect the food to be just as diverse.

Cuisines around the world and across history have been shaped by the local conditions of their environment, their topography and terroir.In college, I lived in a dorm with international students. Every week, one of us was assigned to cook dinner for everyone else on the floor, a chore we accepted as a condition for living in one of the nicer buildings on campus.

Whenever my turn came, I invariably fell back on the food I grew up with: Cantonese. I would roast sweet marinated pork in the oven to make char siu. I would stir-fry beef tips and broccoli with oyster sauce, and blanch Chinese greens with fine minced garlic.